Monday, May 7, 2012

Sharing wealth - the outcome of work

Unemployment annoys me.

I'm prepared to accept that there needs to be a degree of unemployment in the system. Things change and I guess that is the main thing I'm thinking about. People move, businesses close, industries are no longer needed, restructuring and the idea that new people are coming in to the system while old ones retire. That's all fine and makes sense. Thats unemployment of a short term nature. People moving from one Job to another.

It's entrenched unemployment that bothers me. While there seems to be all sorts of complicated laws and expectations that make employing someone difficult, when the system fails in its duty to employ it seems to me that the economy is saying "there is nothing of value that can be contributed" by the unemployed person - that all the work is done. Worlds perfect, job finished. No more jobs need to be done. It seems to me that some work , any work , is valuable - and that all can contribute in this way, I some way.

While the economic system distributes wealth (the bi products of work) it also distributes work, who does it and what that work will be. Is there a limit to the work that can be done? Is there a limit to the wealth that can be created? The unemployment rate suggests that maybe there is.

(I've avoided the laziness argument here, it might be relevant but I think most people want to contribute)

No comments:

Post a Comment